PROMOTING YOUR WEBSITE – A Summary of Techniques
If you are looking for ways to get more visitors to your website or promote your website effectively, you will find thousands of articles to enlighten you. The problem is that you may not have the time or expertise to read through thousands of pages on the internet. Nor might you have the financial resources to invest in hundreds of e-books or hardcopies.
Most people want a quick fix for everything, including and especially making money. The Internet business is no different. Most people scan through documents and try to get the bottom-line only.
With that in mind, I went to the trouble of researching a lot of different techniques that you can use to promote your website. I summarized it for your convenience and included reference links to more detailed articles should you be interested in more details.
The complete checklist will be available soon, as an article like this does not allow for greater details than a short summary. Also, since this is a live document, I am constantly revising it, adding to the summary and links to keep it relevant. So keep on checking back to remain up to date.
Here is a short summary of the most important techniques you need to consider. I am sure that you will be familiar with many of the techniques already, but there might be some that you know about but never tried yet, or others that you never heard of. Also, some techniques are free (not taking time spent into consideration) while others requires a financial layout.
Website promotional techniques can be categorized into a few broad groups, with specific actions to follow within each category.
A. Search Engine Strategies
1. Write a page title
2. Write a Description and Keyword META Tag
3. Include Your Keywords in Header Tags H1, H2, H3
4. Put Your Major Keywords in the First Paragraph of Your Body Text
5. Hyperlink Keywords
6. Make sure Your Navigation System is Search Engine Friendly
7. Submit Your Webpage URL to Search Engines
8. Use Search Engine Optimization
B. Linking Strategies
1. Submit Your Site to Selected Directories
2. Submit Your Site to Industry Specific Sites
3. Ask for Reciprocal Links
4. Submit Articles
5. Start a Business Blog
6. Issue Press Releases
C. E-Mail Strategies
1. Use a "Signature File" in your E-Mail Program
2. Publish an E-Mail Newsletter
3. Direct Offers to Your Visitors and Customers
4. Rent targeted e-mail lists
D. Paid Advertising Strategies
1. Buy an Ad in an E-Mail Newsletter (E-zine)
2. Start an Affiliate Program
3. Buy Pay Per Click (PPC) ads
4. List Your Products with Auction Sites
E. Other Strategies
1. Word of Mouth Advertising
2. Include Your URL on Stationery, Cards, and Literature
3. Use the Traditional Media
4. Develop a Free Service
5. Promote Your Site in Online Forums and Blogs
6. Run a Competition or Promotion
7. Ask Visitors to Bookmark Your Site
8. Exchange Ads with Complementary Businesses
9. Consider Viral Marketing